What do we find when we journey beyond the self? The simple answer, according to Michael Singer, is the ability to see this world through the loving eyes of God. But which God, you may ask.
“How can anyone really know anything about God? We have so many teachings, so many concepts, and so many views about God. But they’ve all been touched by people. Fortunately, deep within us there is a direct communication with the Divine. There is a part of our being that is beyond the personal self.” ~Singer
In his final chapter, The Loving Eyes of God, Singer reveals the journey beyond yourself, untethered from the ego and awakened in Spirit. This is the pinnacle of the spiritual lessons laid out in previous chapters.
Thus far we’ve learned:
- We are not the voices in our head. We are the one inside, the observer, the witness, listening to our thoughts and looking out at the world.
- It is important to live with an open, spiritual heart and not let anything close our heart off from the world.
- We must let go of pain and disturbances that block our energy and keep us from moving forward. This doesn’t mean we don’t feel the pain, but we don’t hold on to it, we release it.
- What we resist, persists. Stop fighting with the world.
- We can’t control people or events, but we can control our reaction. And then, if action is needed, we take action from a place of awareness.
- That our judgment of others is a reflection of ourselves and a powerful spiritual teacher.
- Our happiness is an inside job. If we want to be happy and peaceful we must let go of the part of us that wants to create drama. The path to happiness is paved with gratitude.
- A more peaceful life can be found by following the middle path and not allowing our emotions to swing out to the extremes.
- We control where we choose to focus our energy.
- A daily meditation practice strengthens our mindfulness muscle allowing us to stay focused and centered, peaceful and calm.
All of these lessons, if practiced, can lead us to a more awakened state and allow us to see the world through the loving eyes of God. Michael Singer explains it this way:
“What happens to one who walks this path toward God? What transformations do they go through along the way? To understand this, imagine what would happen if you started feeling tremendous love for all creatures, for every plant, animal and of all the beauties of nature. Imagine if every child seemed like your own, and every person you saw looked like a beautiful flower, with its own color, its own expressions, shape, and sounds. As you went deeper and deeper, you would start noticing a phenomenal thing ~ you are no longer judging. If that happened you’d get a glimpse of God.” ~Singer
So ask yourself, “Can I see the beauty in my fellow human being and feel compassion?” If you’re not there yet, that’s okay. Awareness is the first step toward awakening. For most of us, the shift from Ego to Spirit is a process. But if you’ve been reading these posts you’re already walking a spiritual path and your eyes are open. You’re no longer sleepwalking through life.
Although we’ve come to the end of our journey through The Untethered Soul, if you’d like to learn more about walking the spiritual path, I recommend Eckhart Tolle’s book, A New Earth, Awakening to your Life’s Purpose.
“You are the universe becoming conscious of itself.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
Another great resource that combines science and spirituality is the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS). Their website can be found here.
Thank you for joining me on this journey. May your heart and mind remain open and your days be filled with love, gratitude, and compassion. I wish you safe travels and much love on your spiritual path.
Yours under the stars,
An Artist’s Path
A Space for Creative Seekers